One main purpose of a reference list is to enable readers to identify and retrieve the sources that we have used. Therefore reference data needs to be correct and complete. When constructing a reference list follow the points below.
- Start the list on a new page, usually placed at the end of the document.
- Use the heading References at the top of the list (centre aligned).
- Include all the sources cited in the written work (sources that we have paraphrased or quoted from), but not other sources.
- Arrange the list in alphabetical order by author name.
- Include the following elements in each entry, if possible: author, year of publication, title and other publishing information.
- Double-space entries and give them a hanging indent paragraph format.